Monday, February 9, 2009

From Champ to Chump

I couldn't call myself an ex-athlete, baseball player, baseball fan, or sports junkie without commenting on Alex Rodriquez. By the way, I just can't bring myself to call anyone A-Rod...its like calling Sean Combs, Puff Daddy. Give me a break, I'm too frickin' old.

There is only one question remaining with the recent ESPN report of Alex's use of steriods. Will he step up to the plate and hit a home run? There's no doubt he used, but so did the majority of major leaguers. It's a hell of a lot more than 15%-20% reported. So, will he do something for the game that is positive? He's not a media darling, huge role model, or philanthopist, so what is he really going to lose? The Hall of Fame? I hate to say it, but ooooh Alex, you've already lost it. No matter how many home runs he ends up with, at the end of his career, the black cloud will loom mightily.

However, he has a way out. Crazy or not, we're an extremely forgiving society. Look at the comeback of Jason Giambi. So in my eyes, the Jerry McGuire wantabee that I am, Alex has a few things to do to save his career.
  1. Suck it up, admit it, it was a mistake, and sorry.
  2. Do the talk show circuit and give yourself to fighting the prevention of the use of steriods.
  3. Write the "tell all book".
  4. Keep hitting home runs now that your off the "juice".

Good luck Alex, hope it works out for you and baseball. You already succeeded at one thing...me writing about you sticking a needle in your arse before I tell the world my new designs are in.

No comments: